January 9, 2003


Kirk Krack, Mandy Cruickshank, Tom Lightfoot, Ken McCallum. Perry Gladstone joined the meeting via phone.

Call to Order

This meeting was held at the Watersports Exchange store in Vancouver. The meeting was called to order at 7:26 pm.

Meeting Minutes

The minutes of the previous meeting were approved unanimously by the board.

Sponsorship Package

Perry presented a draft sponsorship proposal to the board. He mentioned that the cover letter for such a proposal is very important and must be tailored to each recipient.

Perry will ask Jason Billows to do the job of approaching companies for sponsorship.

Regional Competitions

Last month’s debate over the number of regional competitions per year continued. After some re-iterations of the pros and cons, the board voted on a proposal to leave paragraph 1.2.3 of the CAFA Competition Program document as-is. The paragraph states:

A maximum of four regional competitions are to be held per year per region.

The board voted 4 to 1 in favour of leaving the four-regional restriction.

Reply to Quebec

Kirk reported that the reply to Yves Charland was being translated into French by Jane Mitchell and would be ready in the next couple of days.

Education Schedule

Mandy will send info on the clinics at Rowands Reef to Tom.

There will be a Judge in Learning course in Vancouver in the two evenings leading up to the April WRC. (Wednesday, April 16 and Thursday, April 17)

Egroups List

In light of a recent ‘flame war’, Perry suggested that the list get a moderator. This moderator would be a neutral party who is not on the CAFA board. Kirk suggested a wait-and-see position to see how the list activity progressed. All agreed to wait.

Action Items

  • Mandy is to
    • Send Sandy Aird the CAFA financial records.
    • Send Tom some info on the clinics at Rowands to be put up on the web site.
  • Ken is to submit a first draft of the competition manual at the February board meeting.
  • Kirk is to give Jane’s email address to Tom so that they can coordinate with the French translation of the web site.
  • Tom is to coordinate with Jane on the French translation of the web site.
  • Perry is to
    • Follow up with IMG Canada on event sponsorship.
    • Update the sponsorship proposal as per suggestions at the meeting.
    • Recruit Jason Billows for sponsorship work.


The meeting was adjourned at 8:38 pm. The next meeting will be held on February 10 or 13.