The past year was characterized by a slow down in web development due to job responisbilities and webspace restrictions but some significant projects were completed.
- The membership application and renewal process has been largely automated and tightly integrated with the online database, reducing the treasurer’s workload.
Still to Come
- Creation of a French language mirror of the site
- Volunteer recognition database
- New graphic look for the site
- Points calculation on competition data entry form
Except for the past couple of months, all metrics for site activity have gone steadily down over the past year. The Picture of the Week feature and the competition database have been very popular but it seems that the site has become somewhat stale over the past couple of years.
The site’s search engine rankings have always suffered with the site’s use of frames. In mid-June I reformatted the entire site to not use frames. The result was fairly swift. Site traffic (especially from Google) has increased significantly over the past couple of months. As I write this, the freedivecanada site is ranked third on a Google search for freediving, preceeded only by Performance Freediving and Pipin’s defunct freediving.net site.
A graph of our monthly traffic statistics is shown below:
A Call for Help
I am of course still open to having someone come along to help me out with any and all aspects of the development and maintenance of the site. I am particularly keen on giving away the job of keeping the Pic of the Week feature fed and up to date.
Return to the Minutes